A Quick Look at Symptoms
Our endocrine system--thyroid, adrenals, pancreas, thymus, pineal, hypothalamus, pituitary, parathyroids, bones, ovaries, testes and blubber--control all of health. And the endocrine glands spend a whole lot of time telling you what's going wrong so you can take care of business.
But while we know something is wrong, our bodies speak the language of symptoms, a different, mostly unknown language, and we can miss the message. And since doctors no longer speak the language of symptoms, preferring blood tests of varying reliability, they can't interpret what our bodies are saying, either.
Symptoms - we need to learn the language.
Here's a start:
1. Didja know people with high cholesterol live longer and better than people with low?
2. Didja know statin drugs skyrocket the risk of breast cancer?
3. Didja know swollen legs can indicate liver disease?
4. Didja know fingernails, on average, grow twice as fast as toenails?
5. Didja know frequently swollen fingers can mean low thyroid?
6. Didja know low thyroid leads to osteoporosis?
7. Didja know only natural thyroid meds prevent osteoporosis? Synthroid is an unnatural thyroid medication, so there go the bones.
8. Didja know breast cancer is an endocrine disease?
9. Didja know prostate cancer is an endocrine disease?
10. Didja know estrogen is an endocrine hormone that gets out of control and runs roughshod over all the rest of the endocrine gang?
11. Didja know testosterone is an endocrine hormone? And it gets beat up by estrogen something fierce.
12. Didja know progesterone is an endocrine hormone? Known for keeping things balanced, progesterone doesn't stand a chance against estrogen on a rampage.
13. Didja know diabetes is an endocrine disease?
14. Didja know insulin is an endocrine hormone?
15. Didja know your immune system is headquartered in the endocrine system? Medical schools teach the inevitable destruction of the thymus gland, but proper nutrition--which is far different from what we read--can keep that champion strutting in style.
16. Didja know your body's 24-hour clock is an endocrine function?
17. Didja know your bones are part of the endocrine system?
18. Didja know the ability to relate to others is an endocrine function?
19. Didja know a low-fat diet is murder on the endocrine system? All the endocrine glands need saturated fat to make the hormones that keep things going.
20. Didja know Aspartame stomps all over our hypothalamus, the boss of both the endocrine system and the nervous system? It can lead to multiple sclerosis, among other disasters.
21. Didja know most concussions damage the endocrine system? One study said 68% of all concussions, no matter how minor, damaged the pituitary, the king of the endocrine system. Things don't go well when the king is halfway off the throne.
22. Didja know low protein diets cause fatty liver, i.e. cirrhosis?
23. Didja know High Fructose Corn Syrup causes fatty liver, i.e. cirrhosis? Not to mention high triglycerides, pancreatic cancer and such.
24. Didja know a fatty liver makes the thyroid falter? Well, as a matter of fact, a fatty liver makes a whole bunch of things go south.
25. Didja know drug companies spend more on payments to doctors, for trips, office equipment, writing pharmaceutical-friendly articles, etc., than on research?
26. Didja know fluoride-based antibiotics such as Cipro can cause peripheral neuropathy?
27. Didja know fluoride-based antibiotics can kill your kidneys?
28. Didja know fluoride-based antibiotics damage tendons, sometimes permanently? Athletes should never be given fluoride-based anything, but it happens all the time.
29. Didja know low thyroid can cause carpal tunnel symptoms?
30. Didja know we shouldn't eat any food containing sodium benzoate?
31. Didja know you don't want any food with carrageenan in it? Carrageenan is called a thickener, which makes food feel better to the mouth, but while your mouth feels swell, bad things happen to your body.
32. Didja know titanium dioxide should never go in or on our bodies?
33. Didja know "hydrolized" in the ingredients label means you don't want it?
34. Didja know the fake fat olestra murders your digestive system?
35. Didja know "natural" on a food label means nothing? Food companies can say anything is natural, but while it sounds encouraging, it means nothing.
36. Just because fluoride's added to our water doesn't mean it's not poison. Fluoride destroys our teeth, our bones and all the rest of our health. And it lowers the IQ of little children.
37. Didja know mineral deficiencies can get diagnosed as gluten intolerance?
38. Didja know mammograms increase the risk of breast cancer? Bit by bit, year by year.
39. Didja know chemotherapy causes cancer?
40. Didja know a poochy belly can say your adrenals are in trouble? Sighing all the time can, too.
And if you want to know about a gazillion more symptoms that tell you what's up, check out my Moving to Health program. Wowzer!
Until next time then.
God is good,
Copyright by Bette Dowdell. All rights reserved
P.S. Bette Dowdell is not a doctor, nor does she purport to be She's a patient who's been studying and successfully handling her own endocrine problems for more than 30 years. She offers introductory teleseminars and an in-depth 12-month subscription program, "Moving to Health" about living well with endocrine issues. She explains how things work-or don't, discusses what things to avoid as well as the things that help, and she provides a lot of well-researched nutritional information. Subscribe to her free e-zine at Information is power.