A Bevy of Surprising Thyroid Symptoms
Half of us (at least) have thyroid problems. Whether the problem started when it took a dive or when that in-the-middle-of-everything gland got caught up in a mess through no fault of its own, we’re still in a ditch.
Since thyroid tests aren’t all that reliable, and the typical treatment doesn’t work, we have work to do. First, to figure out if ours is on the fritz. Second, what to do to get the it back on the straight and narrow.
This article is about signs of thyroid problems.
Everybody may find themselves in one or two clues on the list. It’s when you find yourself matching clue after clue that attention must be paid. Or if the one or two clues that you match aren’t subtle, or the least bit iffy, kind of clues, but things that significantly impact your life, they’re talking about you.
Thyroid Clues and Tips
1. Overactive can be slowed to normal via nutrition.
3. Can cause psychosis.
4. Repeated ear infections can be a sign
5. Reduce kidney function.
6. Makes it hard to concentrate.
7. Lead to boils.
8. Can cause impetigo.
9. Leads to acne.
10. Slows blood circulation, leading to blood clots.
11. Can cause recurrent headaches.
12. Can cause rheumatoid arthritis.
13. Can lead to many autoimmune diseases.
14. Tests don’t often detect low. Or high.
15. Causes irregular menstrual periods.
16. Can cause psoriasis.
17. Can lead to bone infections.
18. Can cause a loss of appetite.
19. Being cold all the time.
20. Can lead to feelings of paranoia.
21. Can be misdiagnosed as dementia.
22. Untreated doubles heart attack risk.
More Thyroid symptoms
23. Affects balance.
24. Leads to achy muscles.
25. Can cause a burning, prickly sensation.
26. Dry skin can be a sign.
27. Puffy, beady eyes can mean it’s low.
28. A baby’s low thyroid can cause “failure to thrive.”
29. Even slightly low makes life miserable.
30. Can look like laziness.
31. Reduces heartbeat strength.
32. The mental fatigue of low is like battle fatigue.
33. Migraines can be related.
34. Whacks emotional stability.
35. Can cause hallucinations.
36. Increases the risk of infectious diseases.
37. Falters without enough saturated fat in your diet.
38. Can lead to suicidal thoughts.
39. Can cause convulsive seizures.
40. Ichthyosis (fish skin) comes from being low.
41. Can cause high blood pressure.
42. Leads to osteoporosis.
43. Low makes you more susceptible to Lyme Disease. If it’s high it could too.
Good nutrition is essential for thyroid health, and it could be that a solid diet (unlike diets you hear about) plus nutritional supplements will completely resolve your mess.
So I’d suggest you start with nutrition. The thyroid, actually the entire endocrine system, is, to put it bluntly, a nutrition hog. And it celebrates joyously when it gets what it needs. You can’t go wrong with good nutrition, and your thyroid can’t sparkle and shine without it.
And if it turns out you need a thyroid prescription, you still need good nutrition. Thyroid meds can’t get you to the top of the mountain without nutrition. Even if you get the natural thyroid (Armour, NatureThroid) that actually works, thyroid drugs can’t do the job alone.
I dragged through life too long, even after I started taking Armour every morning. The sun didn’t come out until I got serious about what real nutrition means-which turned out to be a lot different from what I thought I knew.
It was like discovering a gold mine. And now you know why I go on so much about diet and supplements.
God is good,
Copyright by Bette Dowdell. All rights reserved
P.S. Bette Dowdell is not a doctor, nor does she purport to be She’s a patient who’s been studying and successfully handling her own endocrine problems for more than 30 years. She offers introductory teleseminars and an in-depth 12-month subscription program, “Moving to Health” about living well with endocrine issues. She explains how things work-or don’t, discusses what things to avoid as well as the things that help, and she provides a lot of well-researched nutritional information. Subscribe to her free e-zine at Information is power.