Symptoms – Messages from Your Body
Our endocrine system-thyroid, adrenals, pancreas, thymus, pineal, hypothalamus, pituitary, parathyroids, bones, ovaries, testes and blubber-controls all of health. And the endocrine glands spend a whole lot of time talking about what’s going wrong so we can take care of business.
But while we know something is wrong, our bodies speak the language of symptoms, a different, mostly unknown language, and we can miss the message. And since doctors no longer speak the language of symptoms, preferring blood tests of varying reliability, they can’t interpret what our bodies are saying, either.
The language of symptoms
We need to learn the language of symptoms. Here’s a start:
1. Didja know people with high cholesterol live longer and better than people with low?
2. Didja know statin drugs skyrocket the risk of breast cancer?
3. Didja know swollen legs can indicate liver disease?
4. Didja know fingernails, on average, grow twice as fast as toenails?
5. Didja know frequently swollen fingers can mean low thyroid?
6. Didja know low thyroid leads to osteoporosis?
7. Didja know only natural thyroid meds prevent osteoporosis? Synthroid is an unnatural thyroid medication, so there go the bones.
8. Didja know breast cancer is an endocrine disease?
9. Didja know prostate cancer is an endocrine disease?
10. Didja know estrogen is a witch on wheels-an endocrine hormone that gets out of control and runs roughshod over all the rest of the endocrine gang?
11. Didja know testosterone is an endocrine hormone? And it gets beat up by estrogen something fierce.
12. Didja know progesterone is an endocrine hormone? Known for keeping things balanced, progesterone struggles to tame estrogen on a rampage.
13. Didja know diabetes is an endocrine disease?
14. Didja know insulin is an endocrine hormone?
15. Didja know your immune system is headquartered in the endocrine system? Medical schools teach the inevitable destruction of the thymus gland, but proper nutrition-which is far different from what we read-can keep that champion strutting in style.
More Symptoms Didja knows
16. Didja know your body’s 24-hour clock is an endocrine function?
17. Didja know your bones are part of the endocrine system?
18. Didja know the ability to relate to others is an endocrine function?
19. Didja know a low-fat diet is murder on the endocrine system? All the endocrine glands need saturated fat to make the hormones that keep things going.
20. Didja know Aspartame stomps all over our hypothalamus, the boss of both the endocrine system and the nervous system? It can lead to multiple sclerosis, among other disasters.
21. Didja know most concussions damage the endocrine system? One study said 68% of all concussions, no matter how minor, damaged the pituitary, the king of the endocrine system. Things don’t go well when the king is halfway off the throne.
22. Didja know low protein diets cause fatty liver, i.e. cirrhosis?
23. Didja know High Fructose Corn Syrup causes fatty liver, i.e. cirrhosis? Not to mention high triglycerides, pancreatic cancer and such.
24. Didja know a fatty liver makes the thyroid falter? Well, as a matter of fact, a fatty liver makes a whole bunch of things go south.
25. Didja know fluoride-based antibiotics such as Cipro can cause peripheral neuropathy?
26. Didja know fluoride-based antibiotics can kill your kidneys?
27. Didja know fluoride-based antibiotics damage tendons, sometimes permanently? Athletes should never be given fluoride-based anything, but it happens all the time.
28. Didja know low thyroid can cause carpal tunnel symptoms?
29. Didja know mineral deficiencies can get diagnosed as gluten intolerance?
Well, I could go on endlessly but rather glaze your eyes over, let me leave you with the thought that listening to your body is the sure way to know what’s going on.
God is good,
Copyright by Bette Dowdell. All rights reserved
P.S. Bette Dowdell is not a doctor, nor does she purport to be She’s a patient who’s been studying and successfully handling her own endocrine problems for more than 30 years. She offers introductory teleseminars and an in-depth 12-month subscription program, “Moving to Health” about living well with endocrine issues. She explains how things work-or don’t, discusses what things to avoid as well as the things that help, and she provides a lot of well-researched nutritional information. Subscribe to her free e-zine at Information is power.
Latest posts by Bette Dowdell (see all)
- The Scourge of Dementia - October 16, 2018
- Migraine Headaches - October 15, 2018
- Bromine – A Health Enemy We Can’t See, Feel or Touch - October 14, 2018